Tuesday, April 19, 2011

{Yarmouth Blue Waterfall Desk}


Before.  Okay, my daughter took this snap shot of me "working."  I have no make-up, I'm in my snazzy paint clothes, (don't look too closely at my shoes and socks, I broke my own rule of no socks with sandals) and for sensitive ears don't read the following...(no bra).  Made you all look!   I don't think I had one picture of me painting and since I spend a considerable chunk of time doing my "hobby-job" it fits that you can see me in action!  Enjoy!  I know, I'm fab.






 After.  Ta Da.  After a little magic(sanding,painting,waiting,and waxing)it looks like this!




My first attempt at stenciling a pattern on the top.  Overall I think it went pretty well.  Some minor hiccups but nothing tragic.
I very lightly stenciled a damask pattern in an acrylic cream color then very lightly glazed it.  I used a wet paper towel to keep control of the glaze. 



Then I lined the drawers with a black and white harlequin pattern.  I used a spray adhesive for the first time, it's pretty sticky!



This desk is wood 100% surrounding the whole thing.  The back looks like it could be another front.  So cool, but more work!



I kept the drawer pulls exactly how they were.  I like the rusty, been there awhile look.  I didn't want them shiny and new looking.  This is a little gem that I can't keep.  I hope it goes to a good home where it will be loved!



15 comments:

  1. Love it! I have a waterfall desk that I'm in the middle of refurbishing. I was thinking about painting over the handles, but after seeing yours in all their "rusty" glory, I may leave mine alone as well. Thanks for sharing!

    Rachel
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this desk!! That color is so cute! The damask pattern turned out great! I love that wire basket.. so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous. I recently picked up a waterfall desk and have been busy sanding it. Not sure what color it will be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pete @ Smithy's Painted FurnitureApril 20, 2011 at 3:19 AM

    Great transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. gorgeous!!! oh, and the desk is pretty, too. ;)
    really that desk is gorgeous. i love all the details you added, and the color is so up my alley. and i need to take a picture in my paint clothes as you look so much better than i do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this!The color is gorgeous and looks perfect with the pulls.

    And your painting outfit is very tasteful :)

    hahah. I paint in the most ridiculous things. Once I painted an entire end table wearing my dads boots because it was cold in the garage and I was too lazy to go in and get shoes of my own haha. I'm glad no one takes pictures of that!

    Anyway, I can't wait to see what else you do so I'll follow you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks great. Nice work. Where did you find the waterfall desk?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've been busy girl. Everything looks awesome.
    Have you heard of
    showandtell-sausha.blogspot.com?
    She does what you do. Check it out.
    Miss ya tons. Hopefully we'll be down there some time this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great job! That shade of blue is perfection and I love that you kept the original hardware. I know someone will snap this up in a hurry!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the transformation....did you use paper for the liners? I'm not sure what I should do for this dresser I'm renovating to sell, and the only cute drawer liners they have these days are scented, and I see a lot of fabric being used but to sell I'm not sure what to do.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks great! I too paint furniture and live in Eagle Mountain (The Ranches)...what a small world!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's fabulous, I love the color.
    xo~
    T

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Julie, Thanks for the kind comments! Love your desk too! Glad you kept the original hardware. I agree...something new would not have worked!
    Kellie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, friend! I'm admiring all your creative posts here so can you please share them with us at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop? The link is at http://www.homemakeronadime.com/2011/04/creative-bloggers-party-hop-042411.html. Thank you so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. great job with the stenciling. I like the hardware selection with this piece--really nice balance

    ReplyDelete

Everyone loves a comment! Thanks for taking the time to leave one!